Bath melts are a wonderful way to to add scent and skin nourishing oils to your bath. They are essentially bath oils made up in a solid form. All you have to do is drop 1 or 2 of them into a nice, warm bath and they will melt dispersing the oils and scent into the bath water. The melts pictured below are made from a combination of cocoa butter, shea butter, and sweet almond oil. The are scented with a Geranium Rose essential oil and topped off with some red and iridescent glitter, because sparkles make everything better!
|Geranium Rose Bath Melts|
A simple recipe to make your own bath melts is given below.
- Melt 1 part cocoa butter and 1 part shea butter in the microwave.
- Add to the melted butters 1 part liquid oil.
- If needed, let the oils cool to below 120 degrees F and then add your fragrance (1-3% for fragrance oils and 1-2% for essential oils).
- Mix and pour into small molds (about 1 oz mold size is good)
- Allow to cool and harden either at room temperature or for a faster cooling place in your fridge until solid.
If all these "parts" are confusing, here is an example using oz.
1 oz cocoa butter
1 oz shea butter
1 oz liquid oil (sweet almond, hazelnut, hemp oil, or pretty much any other liquid oil would be fine).
17 (1%)-50 (3%) drops of fragrance
You may want to play with the ratio of hard oils (butters) to liquid oil to find what looks and feels best to you.